The research vessel Neuston docked at Cleetwood Cove on Crater Lake.
Specifications of the R/V Neuston:
- 33 foot Munson Hammerhead, V Hull, custom built circa 1995
- aluminum hull and pilot house
- dual V-8 engines supply thrust, electrical, and hydraulic power
- Volvo Penta outdrives with dual, counter-rotating props
- Pilot house has GPS, radar, depth finder/sonar
- The boom crane and winch are rated at 800 pounds with a 2000 foot, 3/16 inch, wire rope (cable)
- Port-side sampling station with 1/8 inch wire rope, winches, and gypsy head
- The R/V Neuston is housed in the Wizard Island boathouse over winter. The pilot house is removed for winter storage.
- The R/V Neuston is moored either at Cleetwood Cove or Wizard Island during summer operations.
- The boat is all-weather capable and able to withstand 5-foot waves that are common on the lake.
- The GPS can be linked to the navigation system for hands-free operation during science expeditions.