Rim Rock Drive is OPEN - Visitor Center is OPEN 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Rim Rock Drive is OPEN Be on the lookout for Desert Bighorn Sheep along Rim Rock Drive. There also may be minor traffic delays near the East Entrance over the coming weeks. Watch for construction flaggers on the roadway.
The total fee for a Special Use Event Permit is $250.00 the breakdown of the fee is as follows:
Application Fee: $200
Colorado National Monument allows special events in the following locations:
1. Book Cliffs View
How To Apply
Rules and Regulations
1. Please limit the number of vehicles in your party to 10 as parking space is limited. For large gatherings you should consider car pooling or buses to transport your guests.
2. Special Use Permits issued for most facilities and areas will be limited to three hours.
3. Activities may not interfere with normal visitor use of the park; therefore, areas will not be closed to public access during the event.
4. Park personnel will not be available to offer special assistance for traffic, parking, or other logistical needs associated with your wedding.
5. All participants associated with a Special Park Use event such as a wedding must observe and comply with all Park regulations, including those regarding the storage, handling of food and disposal of trash and garbage.
6. The use of rice or birdseed is not permitted. The area used for your ceremony is to be policed and left in the same condition as it was prior to your event.
7. Amplification of sound before, during, or after the ceremony and connection to park utilities is not permitted.
8. Animals are to be kept on a leash at all times and under physical control and pets, other than service animals are prohibited in the backcountry.
9. Any event that interferes with the normal activities of visitors, such as the closing of trails, overlooks or public use facilities, will not be allowed.
10. No disturbance of vegetation or other natural objects is allowed.
11. Park regulations do not permit the throwing or scattering of rice, birdseed, flower petals or any similar material. In addition, the release of animals including birds, butterflies or other insects is prohibited.
12. Buildings or structures cannot be used for attachments (such as banners or flowers).
13. Permittee will assume all responsibility for cleanup of the site.
14. All vehicles for the wedding party and guests must be parked in designated parking areas. Carpooling is recommended; parking may be limited in some areas.
15. Additional rules and regulations may apply in accordance with the requested special event and will be discussed and listed on the special use permit.
If you are not sure that your event requires a permit or you have other questions, contact:
Special Use Coordinator
National Park Service
1750 Rim Rock Drive
Fruita, CO 81521
970-858-3617 ext. 363 phone
Did You Know?
When desperate, golden eagles can take down animals as large as bighorn sheep or mule deer. Golden eagles can be seen in and around Colorado National Monument. More...