Places

Makeshift hospitals for the wounded, private homes turned into battle headquarters, and more memorials than one can count - a wide variety of structures and sites were either directly affected by the Civil War, or later built in commemoration of it. And not surprisingly, as the caretaker of America's treasures, including battlefields and military parks, hundreds of the sites that still remain are today located within the National Park System.

Places from Places

Showing results 46-50 of 51

  • Shiloh National Military Park

    Shiloh Battlefield - Putnam Stump Monument

    Modern photo of the Putnam Stump Monument

    After being buried beneath a young oak tree following the Battle of Shiloh, the way in which Private John D. Putnam's grave was marked led to one of the most unique markers on the Shiloh battlefield. Read more

  • Shiloh National Military Park

    Shiloh Battlefield - Site of Shiloh Church

    Engraving of Shiloh Church with soldiers in foreground

    With a name meaning "place of peace," the unassuming Shiloh Church was an unlikely location for one of the Civil War's bloodiest battles. Read more

  • Shiloh National Military Park

    Shiloh National Cemetery

    Photo of graves in Shiloh National Cemetery decorated with flags

    Shiloh National Cemetery is the final resting place of 3,586 of the 24,000 men who died during the Battles of Shiloh and Corinth, Tennessee in 1862. Organized in 1866, it is one of the nation's oldest National Cemeteries. Read more

  • Shenandoah National Park

    Thornton Gap

    Photo of mountains in Shendandoah National Park

    Thornton Gap was one many mountain passes used to access the Shenandoah Valley by both Confederate and Union troops during the American Civil War. Neither side controlled it for very long and its scattered inhabitants were left largely undisturbed by the conflict raging in the valleys below. Read more

  • Vicksburg National Military Park

    U.S.S. Cairo

    Photo of the USS Cairo on the Mississippi in 1862

    The USS Cairo was the first of seven "city class" ironclads commissioned by the United States War Department in January 1862 after it became clear that the age of wooden warships was coming to a close. It is one of only three Civil War-era gunboats that still exist. Read more