• Photo of cannon at Antietam National Battlefield

    The Civil War

Places

Makeshift hospitals for the wounded, private homes turned into battle headquarters, and more memorials than one can count - a wide variety of structures and sites were either directly affected by the Civil War, or later built in commemoration of it. And not surprisingly, as the caretaker of America's treasures, including battlefields and military parks, hundreds of the sites that still remain are today located within the National Park System.

Showing Results 66- 70 of 71

  • Manassas National Battlefield Park

    Stone House

    Wartime photo of the Stone House

    In 1861 and again in 1862, this historic stone structure, was used as a makeshift hospital during and after the First and Second Battles of Manassas. Read more

  • Antietam National Battlefield

    The Newcomer House

    Current photograph of the Newcomer House

    Where some of the wounded, at the Battle of Antietam, went to receive treatment Read more

  • President's Park (White House)

    The White House

    Modern photo of south façade of the White House

    Abraham Lincoln occupied what was then known as the President's House from 1861 until 1865. From this place Lincoln planned and directed the actions of Union forces in the Civil War and enjoyed some semblance of family life. His son Willie died here in 1862 and he delivered his last public speech from a balcony on its north facade. Read more

  • Shenandoah National Park

    Thornton Gap

    Photo of mountains in Shendandoah National Park

    Thornton Gap was one many mountain passes used to access the Shenandoah Valley by both Confederate and Union troops during the American Civil War. Neither side controlled it for very long and its scattered inhabitants were left largely undisturbed by the conflict raging in the valleys below. Read more

  • Vicksburg National Military Park

    U.S.S. Cairo

    Photo of the USS Cairo on the Mississippi in 1862

    The USS Cairo was the first of seven "city class" ironclads commissioned by the United States War Department in January 1862 after it became clear that the age of wooden warships was coming to a close. It is one of only three Civil War-era gunboats that still exist. Read more