Transportation scholarships are available
The park, the C&O Canal Trust, the C&O Canal Association, and the National Park Foundation are proud to support a transportation scholarship program. The program ensures that all students have an opportunity to learn about and explore the C&O Canal National Historical Park.
Washington County Public School 4th grade teachers, the C&O Canal Association generously donated the cost of your buses to Williamsport for the 2013-2014 school year. You do not need to complete this transportation scholarship form request.
Download the Transportation Scholarship Application Form (PDF)
- Public, private, and charter schools.
- Students may be pre-kindergarten through grade 12. University and colleges are not eligible.
- Field trips must take place within the boundary of the C&O Canal National Historical Park and students must participate in curriculum-based (Canal Classrooms) programs or Bridging the Watershed (BTW) programs. Independent Teacher-led field trips are not eligible for funding.
- Schools will be required to complete pre-visit activities and/or post-visit activities to receive funding.
- Schools will be required to send a thank you letter, addressed to partner organizations (more details provided upon confirmation of funding).
- Funding is prioritized for Title I schools.
- Classes are eligible for reimbursement once per school year.
- Applications will be considered starting August 1 for the fall season, on February 1 for the spring season, and on May 1 for summer field trips.
- Requests for reimbursement will be considered before the field trip or within 7 days after completion of a field trip.
- An invoice from the bus company, the district transportation office, the principal's office, or the school board is required as part of the reimbursement request.
- Reimbursement checks will be mailed within 30-days following the field trip and upon receiving the completed reimbursement request and invoice.
- As a condition of funding, park staff and partners may photograph students in the park. Park staff will contact you in advance of the field trip and send a photo release form.