Channel Islands: From Shore to Sea Curriculum
The From Shore to Sea curriculum was developed as part of the JASON Project's expedition to the Channel Islands in 2003. The multidisciplinary, standards-based curriculum is aligned with national and state standards in science, math, language arts, and social science for grades 4-9. The curriculum has been certified by the State of California Learning Resource Network.
Students and teachers explore the unique ecology and geology of the California Channel Islands, learning about the marine and island ecosystems, their human history, and the challenges of managing and protecting these areas. The target grade levels are fourth to ninth grade, but many materials can be adapted for use in other grades.
From Shore to Sea Curriculum
- Introduction to From Shore to Sea (PDF, 701kb)
- Story 1-Geology and Geography: Where Are We Going and Why? (PDF, 2.3mb)
- Story 2-Channel Islands Culture: Past and Present (PDF, 2.1mb)
- Story 3-Coastal Ecosystems: Land, Water, and Sea (PDF, 2.8mb)
- Story 4-Kelp Forest Ecosystems: Monitoring and Management (PDF, 1.8mb)
- Story 5-Pinnipeds: Monitoring and Management (PDF, 2.5mb)
- Story 6-Conserving Our Natural Resources: A Balancing Act (PDF, 1.8mb)
- Student Atlas (PDF, 2.6mb)
- From Shore to Sea standards correlations for California (PDF, 2.9mb)
- Introducción a De la Costa al Mar (PDF, 1.8mb)
- Historia 1-Geología y Geografía ¿Adónde Vamos y Por Qué? (PDF, 7.3mb)
- Historia 2-La Cultura de las Islas del Canal: Pasado y Presente (PDF, 5.8mb)
- Historia 3-Características Congeladas (5.3mb)
- Historica 4-Ecosistemas de los Bosques de Algas Gigantes: Monitoreo y Gestión (5.6mb)
- Historia 5-Pinnípedos: Monitoreo y Gestión (6.6mb)
- Historia 6-Conservación de Nuestros Recursos Naturales: Haciendo Malabarismos (7mb)
- Atlas Estudiantil (2.3mb)
The Digital Labs below are interactive online activities that model scientific exploration, allowing students to explore real data. They are tied to specific stories in the From Shore to Sea curriculum.
These files require Adobe Flash Player. Please click here to download for free. Please note that a hi-speed internet connection is required.
These video clips support the From Shore to Sea curriculum.
Consider an interactive Distance Learning program that can bring the Channel Islands to your classroom.
- Grade Levels:
- Fourth Grade-Ninth Grade
- American Indian History and Culture, Biology: Animals, Biology: Plants, Climate, Conservation, Environment, Geography, geology, Marine Biology, Oceanography, Wildlife Biology
- National/State Standards:
- NS 5–8, A/Science as Inquiry, C/Life Science, F/Science in Personal & Social Perspectives