SPECIAL USE PERMITS
Certain types of activities require a special use permit. These include many types of organized gatherings, distribution of printed material and other public expressions of opinion, and other activities that are controlled or prohibited. See the following definitions and examples to determine if your use might be included.
A special park use is defined as a short-term activity that takes place in a park area, and that:
- Provides a benefit to an individual, group, or organization rather than the public at large;
- Requires written authorization and some degree of management control from the National Park Service (NPS) in order to protect park resources and the public interest;
- Is not prohibited by law or regulation;
- Is not initiated, sponsored, or conducted by the NPS; and
- Is not managed under a concession contract, a recreation activity for which the NPS charges a fee, or a lease.
Application Fee: $100.00 (non-refundable)
Additional Fees: vary
Application short Form
Special Use Permits are required for the following activities (see Superintendent's Compendium):
- The areas designated for special events, public assemblies and distribution of printed matter with more than 25 participants are: Bonita Canyon parking lots, Massai Point, and Faraway Ranch and the trailhead and visitor center areas (with restriction) of Fort Bowie NHS
- Public assemblies/special events and meetings, gatherings, parades, demonstrations, or other public expressions of views with more than 25 participants are subject to the conditions of this regulation
- The public assembly/special event permit may be canceled at the discretion of the Superintendent
when an emergency or potentially hazardous condition exists
- Public assembly/special events shall not interfere with normal public use or pedestrian flow.
- Public assembly/special events shall not take place during hours of darkness
- Noise levels must not exceed the limits established in 36 CFR 2 12, Audio disturbances
- The commercial sale of items other than the printed matter approved for sale with a permit is prohibited
- The permit holder is responsible for cleaning the public assembly/special event area upon the completion of the event
- Engaging or soliciting any business
- Commercial photography or filming
Commercial Filming & Photography
Educational Fee Waivers
Contact Katy Hooper at 520-366-5515 x 2310 for additional information.