• Little Niagra

    Chickasaw

    National Recreation Area Oklahoma

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • Swimming Areas Closed

    Due to low water flow in Travertine Creek, the Little Niagara, Panther Falls, and Bear Falls swimming areas are closed until further notice. The Little Niagara and Panther Falls picnic areas remain open.

  • Eagle Bay Boat Launch Closed

    Due to low water in Lake of the Arbuckles, Eagle Bay Boat Launch is closed.

Enabling Legislation

Each national park has at least one law, its enabling legislation, which deals specifically with that park. Such legislation offers general guidance about managing the park. As one of the older units of the national park system, Chickasaw National Recreation Area has been defined, and redefined, by Congress on several occations.


Excerpt from “An Act To ratify and confirm an agreement with the Choctaw and Chickasaw tribes of Indians, and for other purposes.”
32 Stat. 655 — July 1, 1902

Excerpt from “An Act making appropriations for the current and contingent expenses of the Indian Department and for fulfilling treaty stipulations with various Indian tribes for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1905, and for other puposes.”
33 Stat. 220 — April 21, 1904

Excerpt from “An Act to enable the people of Oklahoma and the Indian Territory to form a constitution and State government, etc.”
34 Stat. 267 — June 16, 1906

Joint Resolution Directing that the Sulphur Springs Reservation be named and hereafter called the “Platt National Park.”
34 Stat. 837 — June 29, 1906

An Act to Authorize the Secretary of the Interior to Construct, Operate, and Maintain the Arbuckle reclamation project, Oklahoma.
Public Law 87-594 — August 24, 1962

An Act to Establish the Chickasaw National Recreation Area
Public Law 94-235 — March 17, 1976 90 STAT. 235

Chickasaw National Recreation Area Land Exchange Act of 2004
Public Law 108–389 — October 30, 2004 118 STAT. 2239

Did You Know?

Planted flowerbed with a sponsor sign

First known as "West Central Park," the area became known as "Flower Park" beause of the decorative flower beds planted by local businesses around 1915. More...