Swimming Areas Closed
Due to low water flow in Travertine Creek, the Little Niagara, Panther Falls, and Bear Falls swimming areas are closed until further notice. The Little Niagara and Panther Falls picnic areas remain open.
Eagle Bay Boat Launch Closed
Due to low water in Lake of the Arbuckles, Eagle Bay Boat Launch is closed.
Remembering Platt National Park
Originally known as Sulphur Springs Reservation, and later renamed Platt National Park, the park was established in 1902 through an agreement with the Chickasaw and Choctaw Nations and the federal government. The Chickasaw Nation sold the land to the government in order to protect the unique freshwater and mineral springs along Travertine and Rock Creeks.
Though a number of landscape elements in the Platt District relate to the early period of the park’s establishment, the majority of historic landscape resources relate to the period 1933-1940.
During this period, NPS professionals planned and designed extensive park infrastructure which was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Elements included mineral spring pavilions, campgrounds, picnic areas, dams and waterfalls; these were linked by a network of roads and trails. Over one-half million trees and shrubs were planted and an ambitious silviculture program implemented. The CCC work group at Platt National Park was the largest and longest running of any in Oklahoma, employing about 200 workers at any given time between 1933 and 1940.
After 1940, the park first went through a period of wartime economy, followed by minor expansion in 1950. A nature center was added and other changes were made during the NPS’s Mission 66 era. In the 1970s, the park merged with the Arbuckle Recreation Area to become Chickasaw National Recreation Area. The former national park lands became designated as the Travertine District, later renamed the Platt District.
Did You Know?
In addition to a bison herd, from 1920-1934, Platt National Park [the present-day Platt Historic District of Chickasaw National Recreation Area] was host to a small herd of elk. In 1934 most of the elk were slaughtered and fed to families needing relief from the Great Depression. More...