Fox Found at Chickasaw National Recreation Area Tested Positive for Rabies
During the week of June 10, park rangers at Chickasaw National Recreation Area caught and euthanized a sick fox that subsequently tested for disease, and found to be infected with the rabies. More »
The Lincoln Bridge
This stone bridge, connecting the Flower Park area and the city of Sulphur to the mineral springs south of Travertine Creek, was built in 1909. The bridge is the first and oldest developed structure built in Platt National Park [the present-day Platt Historic District].
NPS/Chickasaw National Recreation Area
The bridge was dedicated on February 12, 1909. In honor of the centennial of Abraham Lincoln's birth on that same day, the bridge was christened, "The Lincoln Bridge." The bridge rapidly became a favorite scenic spot within the park, confirmed by the multiple postcard views taken of it in the early 19th century.
For one hundred years the Lincoln Bridge has been a park landmark and a treasured part of the cultural landscape.
Where to find it
From Highway 7, the bridge can be found by taking the first road to the right after turning south. Traveling north on Highway 177, turn left after the the turns to Hillside and Pavilion Springs, but before the turn for the Nature Center.
The bridge is located on the north side of the perimeter road; parking is available on both sides of the road.
Did You Know?
In addition to a bison herd, from 1920-1934, Platt National Park [the present-day Platt Historic District of Chickasaw National Recreation Area] was host to a small herd of elk. In 1934 most of the elk were slaughtered and fed to families needing relief from the Great Depression. More...