Chip Seal Project begins Monday September 24, 2007
Contact: Brad Shattuck, 505-786-7014 ext. 223
Chip Seal Project begins Monday, September 24, 2007
On September 24, 2007, Chaco Culture National Historical Park will begin a project to resurface roads in the park maintenance area, residence areas, and visitor center employee parking area. This project is expected to last until October 15, 2007.
From October 1 to October 15, 2007, portions of the 9-mile long Canyon Loop Drive (with access to Pueblo Bonito, Casa Rinconada, other Chacoan sites, and backcountry trail heads) will receive road surface repairs.
During the length of the project, visitors may experience:
· short traffic delays getting to the visitor center
· limited parking at the visitor center parking area
· short traffic delays along the Canyon Loop Drive when accessing Pueblo Bonito, Chetro Ketl, Casa Rinconada, Pueblo del Arroyo, and the backcountry trail heads.
· temporary closure of the Fajada Butte View
· some early morning (6:30 a.m.) noise in the Gallo Campground associated with employee parking and project staging
· Due to lack of parking at the visitor center, school buses, charter buses, and large RVs are encouraged to reschedule their visits until the project is completed.
We thank visitors for their understanding.
Additionally, we’d like to remind that camping at Chaco Culture National Historical Park will be severely limited until further notice. The park is working on emergency repairs at the Gallo Campground. Until the new repairs are completed, the park has suspended all group camping and reduced the number of regular camp sites from 49 to 35. Groups visiting Chaco will need to make alternative arrangements for camping, and regular campers are encouraged to have other camping options in the event the campground is full. Please call the park (505) 786-7014 ext. 221 for alternative camping ideas. The park regrets this inconvenience.
The park is approximately 70 miles south of Farmington, off Hwy 550 (formerly NM 44) on County Road 7900 and 7950.