Unveiling of the Restored Ohio State Monument on Missionary Ridge – Efforts Led by Ohio Middle School Students
Contact: Kim Coons, 423-752-5213 x139
Chattanooga, TN: The National Park Service and the Friends of Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park are pleased to announce the unveiling of the newly restored Ohio State Monument on Missionary Ridge. Restored through a partnership with twenty-six 5th grade students from Waggoner Road Middle School in Reynoldsburg, Ohio, the monument will be unveiled on Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 11 am at the Ohio Reservation, South Crest Road, Missionary Ridge.
Placed on Missionary Ridge in 1903, the Ohio monument features four life size granite statues. Three of the figures represent the infantry, artillery and cavalry. The fourth figure is a drummer boy. After more than 110 years, the monument required some repairs, specifically to the drummer boy. Led by teacher Derek Hinkle, the 5th grade students from Ohio raised $6000 to restore the monument. The public is invited to join the students in rededicating the Ohio State Monument.
Please note there is no parking at the Ohio Reservation. All guests must park at the McCallie School, 500 Dodds Avenue for a shuttle service to the event. Please enter McCallie off Dodds Avenue and turn right into the first parking lot (follow the special event signs). A bus will leave the McCallie parking lot at 10:45 am for a one time shuttle to the event. The shuttle will return visitors to their cars following the event.
Did You Know?
The four Union generals given credit for bringing an end to the Civil War (Generals Ulysses S. Grant, William T. Sherman, George H. Thomas, and Philip Sheridan) were all in Chattanooga in the autumn of 1863.