The Last Full Measure of Devotion: The Chattanooga National Cemetery
Contact: Kim Coons, 423-752-5213 x139
Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, in partnership with the Chattanooga National Cemetery, invites the public to participate in a program focusing on Civil War related stories about soldiers involved in the 1863 Campaign for Chattanooga. This is a free program and will take place in The Chattanooga National Cemetery, on Saturday, November 16 at 1:30 p.m. The program will begin at the Andrews Raiders Monument in Section H. The cemetery is located at 1200 Baily Avenue, Chattanooga, TN 37404.
On November 19, 1863, President Abraham Lincoln stood upon a platform outside Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, where he officially dedicated the Soldiers' National Cemetery. As he uttered the words "…they gave their last full measure of devotion...," Union forces in Chattanooga, Tennessee, were readying themselves to lay down their lives upon their country's altar. In five days, the Battles for Chattanooga would begin in earnest. Visitors are encouraged to participate in this special program commemorating the devotion of those who fell fighting for control of "The Gateway to the Deep South."