Park staff want this to be an enjoyable visit for you and your group and/or students. Please review the following rules before your trip to Carlsbad Caverns National Park:
- Students and group participants (to include scouting groups, civic or special-interest clubs and organizations, church groups, etc.) must stay with adult chaperones at all times. Each chaperone may have NO MORE THAN 10 (ten) students or minors accompanying them.* Each adult should be assigned a group of students/participants and must maintain control of that group.
- Stay on the cave trail at all times; the cave floor is very delicate and can be hazardous.
- Talk quietly to allow yourself and others to enjoy the cave’s natural silence.
- Cave pools are not wishing wells. Do not throw anything in the pools. Foreign materials introduce new bacteria. The native bacteria may not be able to compete with the foreign bacteria, and thus, may be eliminated.
- Tobacco use of any kind is not permitted anywhere in the caves.
- Gum, food and drinks (other than plain water) are not allowed on the cave trail system. The odor from gum and food can attract animals not normally found in the cave. Once they are in the cave, they often cannot find their way out.
- Do not touch cave formations, walls, or ceilings. Oils and dirt from hands can permanently damage and stain the caves.
- Do not collect anything natural to the park.
A fee waiver may be revoked and a bill for collection sent to your school if your group does not follow the rules and/or behaves inappropriately.
*School groups arriving with an inadequate ratio of students/adults will not be permitted in the cave.