Distance Learning Opportunities
Share our Park with your students! Request video of a stationary Ranger program or of a Ranger-led "walking" program. For more information, please e-mail the Educational Coordinator or call (904) 829-6506 ext. 233.
Our media presentations and programs vary. We can create one that is tailored to your curriculum, the learning standards, and the needs of the students; regarding age and ability. However, to give you an overview of the variety of video program topics we have had in the past, please refer to Guest Speakers. If you're interested in a video tour or virtual tour of the Park, consider asking about some of the topics listed below.
Examples of "Walking" Programs
1. "Baluartes, Murallas, and Garitas: The Defenses of St. Augustine"- Join a ranger inside the fort to explore the Castillo's grounds and learn how the Spanish defense system protected St. Augustine.
2. "A Blast from the Past"- Experience the power of the Castillo's defenses. Park staff and volunteers demonstrate the firing of a cannon and share the story of Florida's protector.
3. "An Evolving Structure for Changing Needs"- Join a Ranger for a guided tour of the fort's casemates and how their construction and purpose changed over time.
4. "From the Outside Looking In: Castillo de San Marcos from the Enemies' Perspective"-Take a guided tour around the entire fortress to see the defenses of the fort from the perspective of enemies trying take the city.
5. "A Gun Deck Tour of St. Augustine" - Learn about the development of St. Augustine and its defenses while enjoying the best view in town.
6. "A Man's Home Is His Castle" - Compare where you live to what it was like to live in Castillo de San Marcos. Explore the outside walls and inside rooms while imagining what it would have been like to call Castillo your "home".
Did You Know?
The Castillo de San Marcos was used for military purposes during WWII. The Coast Guard utilized the fort for training exercises and ceremonies throughout the war years. Castillo de San Marcos National Monument St. Augustine, Florida