Advisory Notice #4 for Hurricane Arthur
July 5, 2014
Contact: Pat Kenney
, 252-728-2250 ext. 3014
HARKERS ISLAND, NC – The National Park Service (NPS) has completed many preliminary recovery actions from Hurricane Arthur. Superintendent Pat Kenney stated “We appreciate everyone’s continued patience and cooperation while we recover and open areas of the park after Hurricane Arthur. We know everyone loves spending time at the Seashore on the Fourth of July weekend and we are working to get as many areas of the Seashore re-opened as quickly and safely as possible.”
Effective July 6, 2014 the following areas will be operating on their normal schedule:
- Harkers Island, Beaufort, and Light Station Visitor Centers.
- Passenger ferry service provided by Island Express Ferry Service from Harkers Island and Beaufort to the Cape Lookout Light Station, and Shackleford Banks.
- Vehicle ferries departing from Davis and Atlantic.
- Keepers’ Quarters Museum.
- South Core Banks and North Core Banks. Camping permitted under normal regulations.
- Portsmouth Village.
- Off-road Vehicles will be permitted to operate as normal on North and South Core Banks. Please obey the safety and resource closures. Areas closed to protect resource or for safety reasons are well marked.
- Special Holiday Lighthouse climb on Sunday July 6, 2014 10:00am to 4:45pm. Tickets are available on first come first serve basis at the Light Station Visitor Center.
- Shackleford Banks will be open to day-use. No camping will be permitted.
- Long Point Cabins 5 through 20 will be open for occupancy Sunday night July 6, 2014. Check-in is at 1pm. Cabins 1 through 4 are closed until repairs can be completed.
- Great Island Cabins 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 12, 17, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, and 26 will be open for occupancy Sunday night July 6, 2014. Check-in is at 1pm. Cabins 1, 5, 8, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, and 19 are closed until repairs can be completed.
- People with reservations will be contacted by recreation.gov. If you have questions or need additional information about the cabin reservations or refunds, please call 888-448-1474.
Due to damages, safety concerns or resource protection needs, the following areas will remain closed:
- Cape Village Historic District
- Old Drum Inlet beach area
- North Core Banks for 1⁄4 mile south of Ocracoke Inlet due to a deep tidal cut.
According to Superintendent Kenney “we will continue to work to reopen the entire park and will keep everyone updated on our progress.” Please call the park at 252-728-2250, or check the park website at www.nps.gov/CALO, Facebook page or Twitter sites for updates.