The learner will be able to:
Pre-Site Visit Activities: TEACHER COMPLETED
Knowledge Assessment (in post-site materials)
National Parks Introduction
• Split students in groups of 2-3 and give each group a "National Park System Map and Guide"
• Have them reed "A Brief History of the National Parks"
• Hand out the "National Parks in America Activity" and have the groups brainstorm answers to the questions (some are fact and some are opinion, these are marked)
• Use the discussion points below to guide students through the materials
• How many different designations are there for National Parks? (listed above the map)
o Why do you think we have all these different titles?
o What makes a park a National Seashore? National Scenic Trail? National Monument?
• What makes Saint Croix Island (Maine) different from all the other National Parks? (Hint: Name)
• How many U.S. territories contain National Parks?
• Using the scale bar, determine the length of the boarder shared between NC and VA.
On-Site Visit Activities: RANGER COMPLETED
Preservation Conservationist versus Utilitarian Conservationist Viewpoints
Park Superintendent Activity
Begin Research on Assigned Viewpoints
Day 2, Day 3, and Day 4
Continue Research on Viewpoints
Ask a Ranger
Debate: Preserve or Use?
Post-Site Visit Activities: TEACHER COMPLETED
America's Best Idea by Ken Burns - Introduction
• This introduction (50 minutes) to the 6 part (12 hour) film contains pieces from each of the parts
• You can skip past the opening dignitary comments to the film itself