Two Cape Hatteras Light Station Facilities Receive Improvements
Contact: Outer Banks Group, 252-473-2111
Weather permitting, two Cape Hatteras Light Station facilities in Buxton, North Carolina will be temporarily closed from March 15 to April 4 in order to allow contractors to complete re-roofing projects for both buildings. The Principle Keepers Quarters and the Double Keepers Quarters, which houses the Museum of the Sea, will be closed for approximately two weeks to allow for the safe completion of each project.
In August of 2011, both buildings sustained minor damage from impacts of Hurricane Irene which expedited the scheduled maintenance replacement of both roofs.The project is expected to be completed in two weeks or less depending on weather conditions.
The Hatteras Island Visitor Center remains open with hours of operation from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. every day.The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse will open to climbing on April 20, 2012.
For more information, call 252-473-2111 or see www.nps.gov/caha.
Did You Know?
When the Home sank on Diamond Shoals off of Cape Hatteras in 1837, there were only two life jackets for all 130 people on board. Ninety people died. Congress passed the Steamboat Act the next year, requiring all vessels to carry one life jacket per passenger.