New Off Road Vehicle Regulations
New off road vehicle (ORV) regulations are now in effect. Please check here for information on how to get your ORV permit More »
Beach Fire Permits are required
Beach Fire Permits are now required. These permits are free. Please check here for information on how to get your Beach Fire Permit More »
Silver Lake Marina and Cape Hatteras Lighthouse Fee Schedules for 2007 Season
Contact: Outer Banks Group, (252) 473-2111
In April 2006 the National Park Service announced plans to increase fees in 2007 for several park facilities. The new fees go into effect beginning April 1, 2007 for the Silver Lake Marina and the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse 2007 season. The new fees will cover increased costs for park operations and visitor services provided for the visiting public.
Beginning April 1, 2007 through November 30, 2007, docking fees at the Silver Lake Marina on Ocracoke Island will be $1.25 per foot/per day with a maximum charge of $100.00 per day. From December 1, 2007 through March 31, 2008, off season rates will be 60 cents per foot/per day with a maximum charge of $48.00 per day. Electric service rates of $3.00 per day for 110 volt service and $5.00 per day for 220 volt service remain unchanged and are valid for summer and winter seasons.
The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse opens to climbing on Friday, April 20, 2007 and, in holding with tradition, admittance is free on opening day. Beginning April 21, 2007, the recreational fee to climb the Lighthouse will be $7.00 for adults and $3.50 for seniors, age 62 and older, the disabled, and children under 12 years of age. The fee is also $3.50 for persons possessing a Golden Age or Golden Access Pass and anyone possessing the new ATB National Parks & Federal Recreational Lands Senior or Access Pass.
Outer Banks Group Superintendent Mike Murray emphasized that fees collected are used for visitor services associated with operating the Lighthouse, preservation and maintenance work, and a variety of other park projects. Murray stated, "The increased fees are necessary to offset the costs of operating the Lighthouse and maintaining park facilities in good condition."
The National Park Service fee program was authorized under the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act of 2004. This law allows Cape Hatteras National Seashore and Wright Brothers National Memorial to retain 80% of all fees collected. The remaining 20% of fees collected are shared with other parks service-wide that do not have a fee program.
For more information, call Park Fee Manager, Sue Titchenell, at 252-473-2111 ext. 122.
Did You Know?
The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse is the tallest brick structure ever moved. When it was built in 1870, it stood 1,500 feet from the shore. By 1999, the lighthouse was within 100 feet of the ocean. To protect it from the encroaching sea, it was moved inland a total of 2,900 feet over a 23-day period.