RENOVATIONS FOR CAPE HATTERAS LIGHT STATION
Contact: Outer Banks Group, (252) 473-2111
The new year will bring a fresh look to the Cape Hatteras Light Station as renovation work to several structures, which comprise the Station complex, will soon be underway. This is the first major work to be performed at the Station since its relocation in 1999.
A temporary closing of the Double Keeper’s Quarters – "The Museum of the Sea" – will be necessary during the renovation period, January 8 through February 28, 2007. The nearby Hatteras Island Visitor Center/Bookstore will remain open on its regular schedule of 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The lighthouse grounds will also remain open.
The Station consists of all the original brick structures including the 1871 Lighthouse and Oil house, the 1871 Principal Keeper’s Quarters, and the original wooden 1854 Double Keeper’s Quarters (known today as the Museum by the Sea.) The Station, normally open to the public seven days a week, was moved to the present site in 1999 when the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse was relocated to protect the Lighthouse and structures from the encroaching Atlantic Ocean.
The Principal Keeper’s Quarters, the Double Keeper’s Quarters and the Oil house are all scheduled for new roof coverings, and exterior and interior paint finishes. In addition, all windows and doors will be freshly painted, along with the refinishing of all hardwood floors. Superintendent Mike Murray stated "The face lift will spruce up the structures for the 2007 season providing a more enjoyable experience for our park visitors. The improvements will protect the integrity of the structures that have weathered many harsh Outer Banks seasons."
For more information about visitor services provided in the Buxton area, please contact the Hatteras Island Visitor Center at 252-995-4474.
Did You Know?
A piece of sea whip that washes up on the beach at Cape Hatteras National Seashore is not a plant, but the skeleton of a whole colony of animals. A tiny animal lived in each hole on the yellow, orange or purple stems. It had a mouth, a stomach and eight tentacles to catch food.