Ocracoke Fire Break Information Meeting
Contact: Outer Banks Group, 252-475-9034
Superintendent Barclay Trimble announced today that shortly after November 4, 2013, U.S. Fish and Wildlife (USFWS) fire management staff, working under an agreement with the National Park Service (NPS), as part of the Outer Banks Group Fire Management Plan, will re-establish a fire break along the NPS boundary between Cape Hatteras National Seashore and the Village of Ocracoke.
Fire breaks aid fire suppression efforts in numerous ways and, most importantly, allow access for fire fighters to move around the periphery of a blaze, while providing space to fight a potential fire.Fire breaks assist in containing fires by denying "fuel" such as brush, grasses and small trees, and will reduce the probability of fires moving from NPS lands onto private property.As a result, this fire break will reduce the threat of wildland fire to private homes and property adjacent to NPS lands.
Another way for communities to help reduce wildland fire threat is by implementing the National Fire Protection Association's Firewise Communities Program which focuses on what residents can do around their buildings to reduce potential loss of life and property to wildfire.Trees, shrubs, and other vegetation surrounding a building contribute greatly as to how well a building survives a wildfire.To get more information about risk assessment and a checklist to help prepare properties, go to www.fireadapted.org
The break will be reformed using a lightweight, tracked vehicle, called a Marsh Master, which was designed for use in marshy environments, with an attached mowing deck.The breaks may not be completely cleared of vegetation as all woody vegetation with a diameter greater than six inches will be left in place.
A public informational meeting regarding this project will be held on Wednesday, October 30, 2013, beginning at 7:00 p.m. at the Ocracoke Community Center, 999 Irvin Garrish Highway, Ocracoke, NC 27960.
Did You Know?
The U.S. Weather Bureau Station on Hatteras Island was built in 1901 and was one of 11 stations built around the country. It is one of only three remaining stations nationwide, and the only one in the nation restored to its 1901 condition. The station was reopened in 2007 to house a visitor center.