Cape Point Campground Opens for 2008 Season
Contact: Outer Banks Group, (252) 473-2111
Superintendent Mike Murray announced today that Cape Point Campground will open Friday, June 6, 2008 for the season. The opening of the campground had been delayed due to standing water and saturated ground conditions. The situation has improved and the campground can now be opened.
All campgrounds at Cape Hatteras National Seashore accommodate tents, trailers, and motor homes no longer than 35 feet. Each campground provides rest rooms, potable water, unheated showers, grills, and picnic tables, but no utility connections are available.
Camping fees for Oregon Inlet, Frisco and Cape Point are $20 per night and camping fees at Ocracoke Campground are $23 per night. Holders of the Golden Age or Golden Access passes, or the new Interagency Senior or Access passes, will receive a 50% discount on their camp sites.
Group camping is available at Oregon Inlet Campground. Fees for group are $4.00 per person per night (for groups of 7 – 30 people) including infants and toddlers. The group camping reservations number is 252-441-0882 and reservations must be made at least two weeks in advance.
Ocracoke is the only National Park Service campground on the Outer Banks where visitors can make advanced reservations. Reservations for Ocracoke can be made by calling 1-877-444-6777 or on the Internet at www.recreation.gov. Campsites at Oregon Inlet, Frisco and Cape Point Campgrounds are assigned on a first come first served basis.
No more than 6 persons and two vehicles may occupy a single campsite. Pop-up campers are considered vehicles. Parking space for extra vehicles is very limited, so please make arrangements to park your extra vehicle outside the park or rent an additional campsite. Camp sites may be occupied for no more than 14 consecutive days. Generators may not be operated between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.
Camping in Cape Hatteras National Seashore is permitted only in designated campgrounds.
Did You Know?
The U.S. Weather Bureau Station on Hatteras Island was built in 1901 and was one of 11 stations built around the country. It is one of only three remaining stations nationwide, and the only one in the nation restored to its 1901 condition. The station was reopened in 2007 to house a visitor center.