NPS and USFWS Share Renovated Bodie Island Office Space
Contact: Outer Banks Group, 252-475-9000
Superintendent Barclay Trimble and Refuge Manager Mike Bryant announced today that National Park Service (NPS) and US Fish & Wildlife (USFWS) staff are sharing office and work space in the recently renovated and remodeled Bodie Island U.S. Coast Guard Station, the Bodie Island Lifesaving Station and boathouse in Cape Hatteras National Seashore (Seashore).After completion of the 2009 environmental assessment (EA) for the proposed relocation of the three structures, the structures were moved to their current site in order to protect them from encroachment of the Atlantic Ocean and shoreline erosion.
The three structures underwent extensive renovation work and upgrades to bring them into compliance with current building code standards.Staff from both agencies look forward to new work areas located in these remodeled facilities as a reminder that preservation can be accomplished in concert with functional work space in today's workplace.
The site now includes the former Bodie Island U.S. Coast Guard Station (1924), the original Bodie Island Lifesaving Station (1878) and the attached Boat House (1903).All three were relocated a short distance to their current location at the entrance to Bodie Island Lighthouse road. Joint funding efforts between the NPS and USFWS allowed the renovation work to progress and staff from both agencies will use the facilities for office and storage.
For more information, call 252-475-9000 or 252-473-1131.