Full Moon Climb Offered at Cape Hatteras Lighthouse April 25
April 23, 2013
Outer Banks Group, 252-473-2111
As a special experience for the visiting public and local communities, the National Park Service will be offering Full Moon Climbs of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse the evening of Thursday, April 25, 2013, weather permitting.Two tours will be given; one at 8:00 pm and a second at 9:00 pm and each tour is limited to 30 people. Tickets must be purchased in advance.The full moon climb ticket sales will start on Tuesday, April 23, 2013. The lighthouse ticket booth is open from 8:15 am to 4:40 pm daily and tickets for this event are non-refundable.
As there are no lights inside the lighthouse, climbers will navigate the 257 stair staircase using handheld flashlights.During the climb, park rangers will provide stories of the arduous duties of the lighthouse keepers.From the watch room, visitors will be able to view the light up close and in motion and hear of the operation of the beacon, past and present - a truly unique experience. Outside on the lighthouse balcony (weather permitting) climbers will get a glimpse of what the lighthouse keepers of old were able to experience - seeing that beam of light reaching out to sea and the starting reflection of the newly risen moon on the ocean.
Things to know:
- Tickets, limited to the first 60 purchasers, must be purchased in person, in advance, at the lighthouse ticket booth and begin Tues., April 23.It is anticipated that tickets will sell out early.Standard admission fees apply - $8 for adults, and $4 for Children (11 years of age and under) as well as seniors (62 and older).The lighthouse ticket booth, located at the lighthouse site, is open from 8:15 am - 4:40 pm daily.
- Each participant must bring a handheld flashlight with fresh, serviceable batteries.
- All participants are required to be at least 42 inches tall and must climb the steps on their own - they can not be carried!If unsure, check with park rangers before purchasing your non-refundable ticket.Also, keep in mind that some youngsters, although meeting height requirements, may not enjoy the dimly lit, sometimes claustrophobic environment.
- Children 11 years of age and under must be accompanied by an adult (16 years of age or older).
- For safety reasons, all participants must climb and descend with the group.NO exceptions.
- Know you limitations! The lighthouse is tall, dark, often hot, humid, and can be a challenge to climb.There are no internal lights or air conditioning.
- All routine lighthouse safety requirements, as well as restrictions as to eating, drinking, gum etc., apply.This information will be provided at the time of ticket purchase.
- Tickets are non-refundable.If the program is cancelled due to weather, the ticket holder may exchange the ticket the following morning, Friday April 26, 2013, between the hours of 8:15 am and 9:15 am for a replacement ticket useable only on April 26.This ticket will be for day climbing only.