How to Apply for an Academic Fee Waiver
Academic fee waivers must be applied for in advance. The Fee Waiver Application and associated materials (see criteria below) must be submitted to the Outer Banks Group Fee Manager, directly by the school, at least 4 weeks in advance of the scheduled visit. On-the-spot fee waivers will not be given at the point of entry. The park does not accept fee waiver requests from commercial tour operators.
FEE WAIVER CRITERIA
National or international applicants must prove they are a school or bona fide academic institution by submitting one of the following types of documentation:
- A statement confirming educational or scientific tax exemption from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or the applicant’s national, state, or local tax authority; or
- A statement from a bona fide academic institution meeting one of these eligibility standards, confirming that the group is visiting for the purpose of providing transferable academic credit based on a curriculum; or
- A statement of accreditation or recognition as an educational institution from a legitimate international, national, regional, state, or local authority for the applicant’s location.
It is not sufficient to merely state or imply this on official letterhead.
2. Educational Purpose of the Visit
Applicants must provide a written statement (documentation) verifying that the visit supports a specific curriculum for which academic credit is offered. (Course outlines, lesson plans, or a copy of the curriculum meet this requirement.)
3. Relevance of Park Resources or Facilities
Relevance to park resources must be described. Applicants must provide a written statement identifying the park resources and/or facilities that will be used to support the educational purpose of the visit, and how they are relevant to that purpose.
Home schools may apply for waivers based on the course of study following the procedures above and must meet the state’s requirements for home schools.
The following criteria will be used in determining an appropriate number of chaperones eligible for a fee waiver. The number of allowable chaperones is based on the age and grade level of the students. The ratio is 1:5 for elementary school, 1:8 for middle school; 1:12 for high school; and 1:20 for college students. Fee waivers apply only to students and the appropriate number of chaperones per the above formulas. Any additional chaperones are required to pay the applicable per person fees.
Please mail fee waiver applications and required documents to:
National Park Service – Outer Banks Group
1401 National Park Drive
Manteo, NC 27954
Should you have any additional questions, please call 252-473-2111.