Access at seashore locations
The stairs at Nauset Light Beach in Eastham are closed due to storm damage. Herring Cove North Lot in Provincetown sustained damage resulting in closure of multiple parking spaces. The Nauset Marsh Trail bridge was destroyed in a 2012 storm. More »
CFP Action Plan - Transportation
Reduce park operations'
transportation emissions to
20 percent below 2007 levels by 2020.
In 2007, mobile combustion from visitors accounts for 82 percent of Cape Cod National Seashore's total mobile combustion emissions of 2,304 MTCO2E. This emissions source presents both a significant challenge but also a unique opportunity to impact emissions beyond the park boundaries by coordinating with regional transportation systems and partnering with regional transportation organizations.
Some Completed Actions
· Flex and Breeze shuttle buses purchased by the NPS and operated by the CC Regional Transit Authority have run on biodiesel.
· Promote car-free travel options via the SMARTGuide website.
· Switched from diesel to B-20 biodiesel for park vehicles, and purchase more hybrid vehicles.
· Purchase and use retread tires as well as bio-based lubricants and greases in the auto shop.
Some Planned Actions
· Continue to reduce meeting travel.
· Work with DOE Clean Cities Program to replace fleet vehicles with alternate fuel models.
· Implement town beach shuttles and jitneys in cooperation with local communities.
· Explore funding opportunities for alternative fuel transit in park grants such as DOT's Transit in Parks Program (TRIP).
· Examine options for replacing gasoline powered equipment with electric alternatives (i.e. lawn mowers).
· Improve bicycle infrastructure as recommended in the 2010 Bicycle Feasibility Study.
Did You Know?
The Old Harbor Life-Saving Station in Provincetown, MA is one of the few surviving, unaltered life-saving stations left in the country. The station was built in 1898 and is open in the summer months with a display of rescue equipment, and NPS staff re-enact the historic Breeches Buoy rescue drill.