Cabrillo National Monument Theater Closed on Selected Dates
Due to National Park Service alternate uses, the Cabrillo National Monument theater will be closed to the public on the following dates: September 20, September 27, October 28 - 29, November 6, 2014. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Other Special Events
OTHER SPECIAL EVENTS
National Park Service policy and Title 36 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Section 2.50 only allow events in the park if there is a meaningful association between the park area and the event, and the observance contributes to visitor understanding of the significance of the park. This means that there must be an association between the event and why the park was established or the importance of the park. Further, the event must help visitors understand why the park exists, or why it is important. Cabrillo National Monument was established in 1913 to commemorate the voyage of exploration of Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo in 1542. Over the years, as the park grew in size, its purpose expanded to include preservation and interpretation of the Old Point Loma Lighthouse, US Army coastal defense system, coastal sage and maritime succulent scrub habitat, and tidepools. For Cabrillo National Monument to issue a special use permit under NPS policy and Title 36 CFR, the event should be related to one of the above mentioned subjects or themes and help visitors understand the significance of these themes and the park.
In addition, foot races and bicycle races or rallies which are based on accepted recreational activities, such as jogging and bicycling, may be permitted upon taking into consideration the criteria in 36 CFR and NPS Management Policies.
Requests for special use permits that do not conform to the aforementioned requirements must meet the following: ·
• The special event must NOT be conducted during the park's operating hours (9:00 AM - 5:15 PM).
• The event must not interfere with the park's operation.
• For events that have one hundred or more participants/attendees, only one such event per month is authorized.
• The approval of the event is contingent upon the availability of staff.
• Permit requests will be considered on a first come, first served basis.
When a special use permit (SUP) request is approved, the following is required:
• Include Cabrillo National Monument/National Park Service as additionally insured. The minimum amount of the liability coverage is $2,000,000.00.
• All participants/attendees must remain on paved surfaces.
• Vehicles are not allowed in the Lighthouse area.
• The permittee shall reimburse the park for administrative, recoverable, and unbudgeted costs.
• The permittee must comply with the conditions of the permit. Violation of any terms or conditions set forth in the permit may result in the revocation or suspension of the permit.
The issuance of a SUP for an event one year does not imply that any future similar requests will be approved. Furthermore, the granting of the permit does not constitute an implied nor expressed endorsement of any commercial product or service by Cabrillo National Monument or the National Park Service.
DOWNLOAD AN APPLICATION
To download an Application for Special Use Permit, click here.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
To obtain a Special Use Permit, or for more information, please call (619)557-5450 extension 4577 or extension 4566.
Did You Know?
Did you know that the Old Point Loma Lighthouse at Cabrillo National Monument was one of the first lighthouses on the West Coast?