U.S. Highway 89 Bryce Canyon to Grand Canyon
Road damage south of Page, Arizona will impact travel between Bryce Canyon and Grand Canyon National Parks. Click for a travel advisory and link to a map with suggested alternate routes: More »
Sunset Campground Construction
From April-July 2014, three new restroom facilities will be constructed in Sunset Campground. Visitors may experience construction noise and dust, as well as some campsite and restroom closures. 'Sunset Campground' webpage has additional information. More »
Bryce Point to Peekaboo Connector Trail Closure
Due to a large rockslide, the connecting trail from Bryce Point to Peekaboo Loop is closed. Trail will be reopened once repairs are made. The Peekaboo Loop is open, but must be accessed from Sunset or Sunrise Point.
Backcountry Campsite Closures
Due to bear activity at select campsites in Bryce Canyon's backcountry, two backcountry campsites have been closed until further notice: Sheep Creek and Iron Spring.
1. Changing Channels in Midstream: Uses experiments to see how different variables affect sediment movement forming stream channels: straight, meandering and braided.
2. Varying Valleys: Uses experiments to show how three valley types are formed: U-valleys, V-valleys and plain valleys.
3. Deposit a slice of pie: Uses experiments to demonstrate how triangle shaped landforms are created: alluvial fan, delta, mud and debris flows.
4. Pushing and Pulling Mountains: Demonstrates how some mountain ranges are created by extension and compression forces acting on the crust.
5. Planar Plateaus: Allows students to see how flat-topped mountains are formed.
6. Earth's pimple problem: Teaches about the three types of volcanoes and what causes them to form.
7. Remembering Landforms: Is the culminating activity of this unit. It uses pictures, landform names and processes that form each landform to play a memory match game.
Did You Know?
Bryce Canyon, first designated Bryce Canyon National Monument on June 8, 1923; reached National Park status on September 15, 1928. More...