Island Facts: Webb Memorial State Park
Walking trails lead through flowering trees and shaded picnic areas to excellent fishing locations.
Pre-historic evidence indicates that Webb was a seasonal campsite for Native Americans. After European contact, the site was likely used for farming and grazing. In the 1860s the site became part of the Bradley Fertilizer factory, and was used for dumping industrial waste. In the 1950s the property was owned by the U.S. Government to house NIKE missiles in underground silos, and was one of approximately ten sites in the Boston area controlled from Hog Island (now Spinnaker). Military use ended in 1977 and the site was transferred to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Since this time, the site has been reconfigured to serve as parkland.
Agency Designation: Webb Memorial State Park
Visitor Facilities & Services
Natural History Overview
The peninsula contains a mix of successional vegetation, mowed meadow and turf areas, and ornamental tree and shrub plantings.
Survey in progress.
Webb is a peninsula that extends into Hingham Bay and is composed of three connected drumlins and a low marsh area. At low tide a narrow dredged channel separates the mudflats at the tip of Webb from those of Grape Island.
Fresh water is piped into the buildings at the southern end of the property. There is a marsh area.
Views and Vistas
Views of Grape and Slate Islands.
Did You Know?
Worlds End was a proposed site for the United Nations Headquarters in 1945 and a nuclear power plant in 1965. Now part of the Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area, it includes 251 acres of undisturbed grasslands and over 4 miles of footpaths.