Island Facts: Snake Island
This island's mduflats and grassy clearings offer excellent off-shire birding opportunities.
The island is named for its serpentine shape. In the 1680s, it was known as "Bare Island." Some time in the 1700s, the island was owned by John Tenny. Livestock was grazed on the island. In the 1900s, a grounded steamer served as residence for the Treworgy brothers, lobstermen from Winthrop. Owned by the Tewksburys, Belchers, then Captain Samuel G. Irwin. Around 1900, O. E. Lewis purchased the island. Later squatters with cabins on the island were lobstermen and clammers, and included James Adams, Horton D. Fullerton, Bill Carey, John Green, and Judson G. Fullerton, and Hunt. Squatters were ordered to leave by the Winthrop Board of Health. The island has also been used as a recreational destination by Winthrop residents.
Agency Designation: Conservation land
Visitor Facilities & Services
Natural History Overview
Survey in progress.
No constructed features.
Views and Vistas
Logan International Airport; town of Winthrop; Deer Island.
Island names have changed, depending on ownership and the customs of the times. What's in a Name? lists alternate names for park islands (and a few Harbor islands not within the park). Following is another known name for Snake Island:
Did You Know?
Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area is one of the very few places in the world where sea drumlins, glacially-formed mounds, may be found. They were formed by retreating glaciers about 15,000 years ago. More...