Island Facts: Sheep Island
Once 25 acres, this island has been eroded away to less than 2 acres by wind and water.
In the 1600s, the island covered more than 25 acres and was called "Round Island." The island was deeded to the town of Weymouth in 1636 and used for grazing sheep. In the 1800s, the island was used by recreational camping parties. A residence and hunting lodge were constructed then abandoned. The island has eroded to three acres.
Agency Designation: Harbor Islands Reservation
Visitor Facilities & Services
Natural History Overview
Survey in progress.
Eroded glacial drumlin with rocky shore, elevation 10 feet.
Views and Vistas
Hough's Neck; Hull; Bumpkin, Grape, Nut, Peddocks, and Slate Islands.
Island names have changed, depending on ownership and the customs of the times. What's in a Name? lists alternate names for park islands (and a few Harbor islands not within the park). Following is another known name for Sheep Island:
Did You Know?
Lovells Island in Boston Harbor National Recreation Area is the site of the park's most notorious shipwreck. On August 15, 1782 a historic French seventy-four gun warship, Magnifique, crashed along the rocky shore rumored to be carrying long-lost treasure. More...