Island Facts: Nut Island
Beautiful harbor vistas are found on this peninsula which houses a waste water pumping station and landscaped park.
The island was likely used seasonally by Native Americans. Colonists used the island for grazing their cattle. It has a long history of use for sewage treatment. It is now part of the Boston Project with the new facility at Deer Island.
Agency Designation: Nut Island Pumping Station - Boston Harbor Project
Visitor Facilities & Services
On-island Circulation: A 2,500-foot loop road connects with the mainland (Quincy). Paved trails traverse the site.
Natural History Overview
Many new trees and shrubs have been planted as part of the new public park area.
Survey in progress.
The island rises approximately 10 feet in elevation and is surrounded by a rip-rap retaining wall.
The new pump facility at Nut Island is part of one of the largest, most elaborate constructed water features in the country. A 4.8-mile tunnel from Nut Island pumps sewage from 21 South Shore communities to Deer Island for primary treatment.
Views and Vistas
Nut Island is visible from the islands in Quincy Bay. Islands most visible from Nut Island include Peddocks, Hangman, Rainsford, Moon and Long Islands.
Private vehicle access through Squantum is discouraged.
Island names have changed, depending on ownership and the customs of the times. What's in a Name? lists alternate names for park islands (and a few Harbor islands not within the park). Following are known names for Nut Island:
Did You Know?
Public ferries to Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area leave from Long Wharf, the oldest continuously used wharf in the United States. It was aptly named Long Wharf in 1710 as it stretched 1,586 feet into the port of Boston making it the longest wharf in America. More...