• The Slater Mill (yellow) and Wilkinson Mill (stone), along the Blacktone River in Pawtucket RI

    Blackstone River Valley

    National Heritage Corridor MA,RI

Valley Sites - Millville, Uxbridge

Chestnut Hill Meetinghouse

Chestnut Hill Meetinghouse

MILLVILLE

Sadly, there are no longer any mills in Millville, but there are plenty of wonderful stories in this small town. Though it is the youngest town in the Heritage Corridor, Millville’s story goes back over three centuries tying together a colonial meetinghouse, a massive rubber factory and a baseball Hall of Famer.

Chestnut Hill Meetinghouse
This 1769 Meetinghouse is a treasure from Colonial times. Originally built as a place of worship and for public meetings, today the Meetinghouse is open for tours and talks on its role in local and national history. Open for special events and by appointment.

Chestnut and Thayer Streets
Millville, MA 01529
(508) 883-8466

Millville Lock
The Millville Lock is best remaining of the original 48 locks of the Blackstone Canal. The lock is located along a ¾ of a mile trail. Open year round, dawn to dusk.

Central Street and Hope Street
Millville, MA, 01529
(508) 278-7604
mass.gov/dcr/parks/central/blst

 
Cornonet John Farnum House

Coronet John Farnum House

UXBRIDGE

Uxbridge is at the center of the Blackstone River Valley geographically and serves as a prime example of the valley experience. The mill story can be seen in spots like Rogerson’s village, River Bend Farm tells of our agricultural heritage and paddling a canoe down the canal combines recreation and education.

Blackstone River and Canal Heritage State Park
Blackstone River and Canal Heritage State Park celebrates the role of the Blackstone Canal as a transportation link from Providence to Worcester. The park covers over 1000 acres along the Blackstone River and Canal, offering a number of recreational activities including hiking, biking, canoeing and fishing. A number of historical canal artifacts, including several miles of water canal and remnants of a lock are open for viewing. Park is open year round, sunrise to sunset.

287 Oak Street
Uxbridge, MA 01569
(508) 278-7604
mass.gov/dcr/parks/central/blst

Crown and Eagle Mill
The Crown and Eagle Mill is the centerpiece of Rogerson’s Village. Built in two sections, Rogerson named one in honor of his parent’s homeland of England, the crown, and the other after the symbol of his home nation, the Eagle. The Crown and Eagle, along with the tidy brick village around it, is one of the most architecturally pleasing mills in the valley. While this mill looks almost 200 year old, most of it was re-built following a devastating fire in the 1970s. Today the mill has been converted into seniors’ housing.

East Hartford Avenue
Uxbridge, MA 01569

Coronet John Farnum House
The Farnum House, built c. 1710, has been extensively restored and today contains many early furnishing. Today the house is maintained by the Uxbridge Historical Commission and Historical Society. Open third Sunday each month April – October 1-4.

Mendon Street
Uxbridge, MA 01569

West Hill Dam and Park
West Hill Dam and Park is a 557-acre park operated by the Army Corps of Engineers. Park facilities include five miles of trails for hiking, biking and horseback riding and a swimming area at Harrington Pool, formed by the West River. Ranger programs are also offered. Open Memorial Day to Labor Day.

518 East Hartford Avenue
Uxbridge, MA 01569
(508) 278-2511 www.nae.usace.army.mil/recreati/whd/whdhome

Friends Meetinghouse
The Quaker Meetinghouse in South Uxbridge is another link in the chain of Friends Meetinghouses along the old Great Road from Providence to Mendon and Worcester. The brick structure was built in 1770, and was used until the early 1900s. Among its members was the fiery abolitionist Abby Kelley Foster. Open 3rd Sunday 2-4 during May-September. and for special events.

Corner Quaker Highway (Rte 146-A) and Aldrich St. (Rte 98)
Uxbridge, MA 01569
(508) 278-2871; (401) 769-4433

Did You Know?