Valley Sites - Douglas, Sutton, Northbridge
Forests have played an essential role in the town of Douglas since its creation. The forests here were harvested to provide everything from firewood and planking to axe handles for the Douglas Axe Company. Today those same forests attract people to Douglas as a place for recreation and reflection.
E.L. Jenckes Store Museum
283 Main Street
Main Street (Rt. 16)
Douglas State Forest
Wallum Lake Road
Sutton is proud of its agricultural heritage, producing corn, fruits and dairy products for towns throughout the region. The town center is a classic example of a crossroads farming community. But even Sutton was touched on its fringes by the industrial revolution as attested to by the mill villages of Manchaug and Wilkinsonville.
4 Uxbridge Road
Main Street at Whitins Road
The General Rufus Putnam Hall
Harnessing water as a source of power was the key to industrialization in the Blackstone River Valley. A prime example of this is Northbridge, with its chain of mills along the Blackstone, and the wonderful series of dams and holding ponds that turned the small Mumford River into the driving engine of the massive Whitin Machine Works.
Did You Know?
The classic American Diner is another Blackstone Valley innovation. In 1872, Walter Scott began selling food from a horse drawn covered wagon in Providence, RI. In 1887, the first diner manufacturer opened in Worcester, MA.