Hunting Permit Registration Begins July 8
June 15, 2013
Contact: Leta Parker
, (409) 951-6831
Big Thicket National Preserve Superintendent Doug Neighbor announced today that the Preserve will issue free hunting permits from July 8, 2013, until February 28, 2014. Permits will be issued daily at the Preserve Visitor Center from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, including weekends. The visitor center is located eight miles north of Kountze at 6102 FM 420.
- Hunters will be issued a Big Thicket hunting permit to take white-tailed deer, squirrel, rabbit, feral hog, and waterfowl.
- Everyone who hunts in the Preserve, including children, must have a Big Thicket hunting permit.
- Hunters must get permits in person and must present a driver's license or some other form of official identification.
- Hunters may get permits for only one hunting unit.
- Hunters born on or after September 2, 1971, must complete a State of Texas Hunter Education Training Course in order to hunt in the Preserve.
- Children 16 years old and younger must be accompanied by a licensed permitted hunter at least 17 years old when hunting in the Preserve.
- Hunters who did not return their harvest cards by April 1, 2013, will not be issued permits to hunt in the Preserve this season.
Permits are available per hunting unit as follows:
- Beaumont Unit - 200
- Beech Creek Unit - 150
- Big Sandy Unit - 400
- Jack Gore Baygall - 400
- Lance Rosier Unit - 900
- Neches Bottom - 150
Hunters must return their harvest cards by April 1, 2014, in order to receive a permit to hunt the following season.
For more information, contact Big Thicket National Preserve at (409) 951-6700 or (409) 951-6831.