The Big Cypress Fire Management Plan
identifies objectives of the prescribed fire management program (management ignited and natural) as:
* Control exotic plant species.
* Meet operation needs such as vista clearing and debris removal.
* Manage wildlife habitat for game, non-game, protected, and rare species.
* Research the ecological role of fire in the Preserve's varied ecosystem.
* Protect selected cultural and natural resources that are fire intolerant.
* Reduce hazard fuel accumulations in the backcountry, around improvements, and along major roadside corridors.