Prior to the establishment of Big Bend in 1944, much of the land now considered a park was owned by small family ranches and farms. Once established as a national park, a great number of ranches had over-used the land.
Currently, the NPS is still keeping up with damage that was done to the land many years ago. Much like the projects of today the soil conservation service conducted a number of experimental restoration plots in the Tornillo Flat area begining in the 1950s. Today much of the heavily erroded soils are located in the north Rossillos and Tornillo sections of the national park.
Interested in helping out? The national park service is always looking for good volunteers to restore disturbed lands. Click here for more...
Did You Know?
A few miles into Green Gulch, to the left of the road and high on the slopes of Lost Mine Peak, is a small cave that looks like a little house and is called the Watchman's House. According to legend, this cave is occupied by the ghost of the Indian slave who guarded the mine in the Chisos Mountains. More...