RED BLOODED MEN TAKE NOTICE!
NPS/Big Bend National Park
A Fifth Cavalry recruiting notice, 1920
The operating forces in the Big Bend included cavalry, infantry, and signal corps units, both regular US Army and volunteer units. Outposts of both temporary and permanent character were established at Lajitas, Terlingua, Santa Helena (today's Castolon historic district), Glenn Springs, and La Noria in the vicinity of the present-day park.
In 1920, only months before most of the outposts were closed, Fifth cavalry Colonel James J. Hornbrook, commanding the Big Bend military district developed the recruiting notice below. When he circulated the notice to other commanders, he stated, "this is the kind of publicity that will get results."
While it is unknown how many men may have signed up after reading the notice, Hornbrook used language to describe the Big Bend region similar to what is still used to today to capture the scenic qualities and rugged nature of the area.
To Learn More:
Did You Know?
About the beginning of the twentieth century, D. E. Lindsey operated a small quicksilver prospect on the northern end of Mariscal Mountain in Big Bend National Park. On old maps, the location is shown as the Lindsey mine, but it is more commonly known as the Mariscal mine. More...