03/15/2014Location: Bent's Old Fort National Historic Site Fee Information: Pre-registered participants fee $20.00. Visitors observing have regular living history fee of $3.00 for adults, $2.00 for 6-12 year ols and free for anyon under 6. Contact Name: Greg Holt Contact Email: e-mail us Contact Phone Number: 719-383-5023
Frontier Skills Day Marcfh 15, 2014 will provide adults an opportunity to experience fur trade frontier life of the 1830s and 1840s. The program will emphasize the historic value of Bent's Old Fort, as well as the cultural relationships and the type of work performed in frontier Western America.
HANDS-ON ACTIVITIES OF THE TIME
The instructional program will be a "hands-on" living history experience. Character roles will include laborer, trader/clerk, blacksmith, soldier, hunter, domestic and carpenter. Living history volunteers and park staff will instruct in the lifestyle and duties of each role.
· Trader - management of trade operations, peace treaties, Indian sign
language, fort supervision
· Domestic - Laborer - frontier cooking, garment making, candle making, food preservation, domestic chores
· Carpenter - 19th century hand tool use, method and care; construction of period pieces
· Blacksmith - forge, hammering, welding, and shaping techniques, actual period piece construction
· Soldier - camp and trail life, drills, military horse equipage and use, day in the life of a soldier
· Hunter - Trapper - camp set-up, horse packing, animal tracking, trapping, survival techniques