There are approximately 483 acres of park land that have been disturbed by development or agricultural use prior to National Park Service ownership. The land was used either for cattle grazing or for irrigated crops or has been impacted by fire or exotic weed infestations. Four hundred (400) acres of the park on the south side of the Arkansas River were grazed even after the land was purchased by the government in 1979. Prior to 1979, the area supported a farmstead and a herd of cattle. The land on the north side of the Arkansas river was primarily used for raising crops. Currently, sixty-eight acres on the north side of the river are being restored to native grasses.
Did You Know?
The first white woman didn’t arrive at Bent’s Fort until 1846, 13 years after its establishment. Unlike the Oregon Trail, the Santa Fe Trail was basically a freight road, men driving freight wagons. That started to change after the Mexican War when New Mexico became U.S. territory.