• Great Kiva with Walls of West Ruin

    Aztec Ruins

    National Monument New Mexico

Commercial Use Authorization

Commercial Use Authorizations are required for commercial tour groups that will be guiding or providing other interpretive services in Aztec Ruins National Monument. Commercial tour outfits offering transportation to the monument for guests to take a self-guided or ranger-guided tour (but offering no outside interpretive services) do not need a Commerical Use Authorization.

The application fee for a Commercial Use Authorization is $100, and, if approved, the permit is good for a year. Additional monitoring costs are typically only necessary if the group wishes to use non-public areas or visit during irregular hours. Tour providers must carry a copy of their Commercial Use Authorization for the duration of their visit.

The forms necessary to apply for a Commercial Use Authorization are below. Mail all the required material, along with the application fee, to Aztec Ruins National Monument, Visitor Services Division, 84 Road 2900, Aztec, NM, 87410 at least two weeks prior to your visit. Please contact the Chief Ranger at 505-334-6174 x228 or e-mail us if you have any questions.


Did You Know?

Core and veneer wall

In places, the walls at Aztec Ruins are three feet thick, making them over twice as thick as Mesa Verde cliff dwelling architecture. Masons used the “core and veneer” style, laying a thick rubble core within a finely shaped stone veneer. This style is typical of Chaco Canyon "great house" sites.