Commercial Use Authorizations

Title 36 Code of Federal Regulations 1.6(a) - Permits and 5.3 - Business Operations states, "Engaging in or soliciting any business in park areas, except in accordance with the provisions of a permit, contract, or other written agreement with the United States, except as such may be specifically authorized under special regulations applicable to a park area, is prohibited."

The following commercial services are authorized under a commercial use authorization at Arches and Canyonlands National Parks:

Changes have been made to the conditions of these commercial use authorizations. The $250.00 application fee is non-refundable so please read the conditions (use links above) for the commercial service(s) in which you intend to offer before submitting your application package.

How to Apply

Download application [21k PDF file]


  1. Payment of a non-refundable fee of $250.00 made payable to the "National Park Service." This fee covers the processing and administering of your CUA. This includes costs for overseeing the operational, safety, and environmental requirements stipulated in the permit. Up to two hours of incidental monitoring by field rangers is included in this fee. If problems should arise during your time in the park, which requires additional monitoring by ranger staff, you will be billed for those costs.
  2. A current Certificate of Insurance documenting adequate General Liability coverage for the type of activity you will be conducting. The minimum coverage for commercial guided overnight backpacking, day hiking or still photography instruction is $300,000 per occurrence if the total party size is five or less, $500,000 if the party size is six to twelve and $1,000,000 for parties of 13 or more. The insurance certificate must name the United States Government as an additional insured as well as specify that the service authorized by the permit is covered by the insurance policy.
  3. Automobile liability insurance will comply with the minimum coverage required by Utah State law. The insurance certificate must name the United States Government as additional insured.
  4. At least one guide in each day use only or overnight land tour group must have an Advanced American Red Cross First Aid Card or its equivalent and a current CPR card in his/her possession while in the park. Copies of those cards must be sent in with your application.

Did You Know?