The Office of Workforce Management is seeking applicants for a detail to Washington to manage Servicewide efforts in implementing the agency’s inclusion and diversity workforce strategy. Applications are due by March 11th. This is a term appointment, not to exceed four years - it is a career development opportunity in the Washington Office.
The person selected will be responsible for developing new approaches to workforce management systems that are employed to recruit, hire, develop and retain a diverse workforce to effectively accomplish the NPS mission.
All applicants must demonstrate an ability to perform in a fast paced environment and an ability to gather information to provide recommendations and advice to management officials. Applicants must possess strong professional writing and presentation skills and be able to perform the following duties:
- Lead day-to-day implementation of the NPS inclusion and diversity workforce strategy, including coordination and support of a steering committee and four project action teams – leadership, recruitment, retention, and succession. Communicate and track the progress and completion of actions identified in the strategy and recommend adjustments and new actions when necessary.
- Serve as the primary interface with Center for Park Management’s (CPM) team members who are engaged in supporting the strategy through a collaborative partnership with NPS. Work daily with the CPM lead to identify areas where CPM talents can be applied to further inclusion and diversity workforce strategy implementation. May participate with the CPM lead in briefing CPM and National Parks Conservation Association leadership on the progress, successes and value of CPM’s involvement in this partnership.
- Assess and advise on NPS strategies, processes, and programs, including determination of most effective approaches, leveraging of resources, and identification of workforce and management priorities to better achieve the NPS mission through a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Applicants must have a fully successful or higher rating on his or her most recent performance appraisal to be considered. All current NPS permanent employees at the GS-12 or GS-13 grade level will be considered. Employees at the GS-11 who are eligible for immediate promotion to the GS-12 will also be considered.
Candidates who apply, and are found eligible, and meet all qualification requirements for the position, may be considered for a temporary promotion. Their rate of pay would be determined by the salary table for occupational series and a geographic location of Washington, DC. Candidates who apply and do not meet qualification requirements for the position will be considered for a detail opportunity. The employee will receive the rate of pay of his or her current position and not the rate of pay for the higher grade of the detailed position.
Permanent employees of the National Park Service desiring consideration should submit a letter of interest or an abbreviated resume no more than two pages in length. Please summarize your experience, and indicate your skills and ability in collaborating with external partners, advisory groups, and contractors on a variety of inclusion and diversity efforts, including research, benchmarking, analysis, and employee interviews, surveys and focus groups.
Interested employees must include the following information in their submission:
- Name, title, series and grade.
- Current duty station.
- A letter of support from your immediate supervisor, no more than one page in length. This letter should address how the assignment to WASO would be beneficial to applicant.
- Most recent performance appraisal.
This information must be postmarked by the closing date and received within five working days of that date and mailed to: National Park Service, Kathy Shephard, WASO HR Operations Division, 1201 Eye Street, NW, 12th Floor, (2716), Washington, DC 2005. Faxes will be accepted and may be forwarded to 202-371-1762.
Individuals interested in seeking additional information are encouraged to contact Kathy Shephard at 202-354-1997 with any questions.