• The village of Appomattox Court House from the west, the McLean House is on the right.

    Appomattox Court House

    National Historical Park Virginia

Original Structures

Original Structures at Appomattox Court House National Historical Park

A. Original Building

Sweeney Prizery -- ca. 1790

Clover Hill Tavern -- 1819

Clover Hill Tavern Guest House -- 1819

Mariah Wright house -- 1823

Charles Sweeney Cabin -- ca. 1840

Clover Hill Tavern Kitchen and Guest House -- 1848

Bocock-Isbell house -- ca. 1849-50

Bocock-Isbell Smokehouse -- ca. 1849-50

Bocock-Isbell Outside Kitchen -- ca. 1849-50

Jones Law Office -- ca. 1850

Woodson Law Office -- ca. 1851

Meeks Store -- 1852

Meeks Storage Building -- ca. 1850

Meeks Store Stable -- ca. 1850

Peers House -- ca. 1855

Sweeney Conner Cabin -- ca. 1860

New County Jail -- ca. 1860-70

B. Original Roads and Lanes

Richmond-Lynchburg Stage Road -- ca. 1790

Prince Edward Court House Road -- ca. 1790

Back Lane -- ca. 1850

Market Lane -- ca. 1850

Bocock Lane -- ca. 1850

Sears Lane -- ca. 1850

Trent Lane -- ca. 1850

Tibbs Lane -- ca. 1850

Wright Lane -- ca. 1850

Williams Lane -- ca. 1850

Conner Cabin Road -- ca. 1850

Pryor Wright Lane -- ca. 1850

Oakville Road -- prior to 1856

The above is a partial listing of structures on the Appomattox Court House "List of Classified Structures."

Did You Know?

Lt. Colonel Charles Marshall (left), Chief Justice John Marshall (right)

Colonel Charles Marshall, Lee's aide-de-camp, was the great-nephew of Chief Justice John Marshall. Charles Marshall chose the site of the surrender meeting and was the only Confederate present in the McLean House besides General Lee.