The links below offer panoramic views of the Appomattox Court House historic village. Once the image loads, click on the picture and drag in any direction to change the perspective.
Note: files may not display correctly when viewed using low-bandwidth.
Confederate Cemetery (Click Title to see 360 Image)
The Confederate Cemetery, which is the final resting place for 18 soldiers that fell during the battles of Appomattox Station and Appomattox Court House. Turning slightly left, the Court House village is visible in the distance, eastward along the historic Stage Road. Following the Stage Rd to the west (turn left), the split-rail fence leads to a forest that saw some of the final cavalry skirmishes.
McLean House (Click Title to see 360 Image)
Appomattox Court House was built along an existing stage road, where drivers would carry passengers, mail, and goods in the relative comfort of a horse-drawn stagecoach. What is now known as the McLean House was built in 1848 by John and Eliza Raine, whose family operated hotels along the Stage Rd. When Wilmer McLean purchased the hotel from the Raine estate during the war, the former hotel became the private residence of his family and, ultimately, the meeting place for generals Grant and Lee.
Parlor of McLean House (Click Title to see 360 Image)
On April 9th, 1865, while sitting in the parlor of Wilmer McLean, General Ulysses S. Grant, accepted the surrender of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia by General Robert E. Lee.
West side of Appomattox Court House Village (Click Title to see 360 Image)
As travelers came from across Appomattox County to attend legal business at the county seat, businesses in the village provided legal services, lodging, food, and other supplies. The brick Clover Hill Tavern predated the formation of the county, and was still being operated as a hotel by Wilson Hix in 1865. To the left of the Clover Hill Tavern are the law office of John W. Woodson and Francis Meek's store. In the center of the road is the courthouse, which burned in 1892 and was reconstructed in the 1964. The white buildings to the right of the courthouse (southeast) belong to the Lewis D. Isbell House, which was originally built by Thomas Bocock, Commonwealth Attorney and later Speaker of the Confederate House of Representatives.
Interior of Plunkett-Meeks Store (Click the Title to see 360 Image)
Dry goods, medicine, and the mail were all reasons to stop by this store in 1865. Built by John Plunkett in 1852, this store was owned and operated by Francis and Maria Meeks in 1865. The Meeks family lost a son, Lafayette Meeks (CSA), early in the war to typhoid and he is buried nearby.
East side of Appomattox Court House Village (Click the Title to see 360 Image)
This is the junction of the Richmond-Lynchburg Stage Road and the Prince Edward Court House Road east of the historic village. The home of George Peers, former clerk of Appomattox County, sits atop a knoll. The small cabin nearby is the former law office of Crawford Jones. During the formal Stacking of Arms held on April 12, 1865, Union soldiers lined the Stage Road while the Confederate troops marched over the hill by the Peers House and stacked their guns along the Stage Road.