The large structure (center right) is the Clover Hill Tavern where paroles were printed for 28,231 Confederate soldiers. This ca. 1937 image shows the tavern, slave quarters (behind), and tavern kitchen (center left). Buildings built ca. 1819.
National Historical Park - April 15, 1954
National Historical Monument - August. 13, 1935
U. S. War Department Battlefield Site - June 18, 1930
To commemorate the termination of the War Between the States which was brought about by the surrender of the army under General Robert E. Lee to Lieut. General Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Court House, in the state of Virginia, on April 9, 1865, and for the further purpose of honoring those who engaged in this tremendous conflict.