• The village of Appomattox Court House from the west, the McLean House is on the right.

    Appomattox Court House

    National Historical Park Virginia

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • The McLean House front porch is closed, but the house remains open.

    The front porch of the McLean House is being renovated requiring entry into the house through the back door.

Frankenstein Paintings Collection

Mainstreet Appomattox Court House circa 1866

In "Main Street" Frankenstein's delicate tones capture this view of Appomattox Court House village as seen from the West.

NPS image

This extraordinary collection of George L. Frankenstein's five paintings of the village of Appomattox Court House depict this historic village and surrounding area as it appeared in the months after the surrender. Professor Frankenstein (1825-1911) spent four years traveling Civil War battlefields capturing scenes in oil on paper.

The paintings, on permanent exhibit at the Appomattox Court House NHP visitor center, not only provide insight into what the area looked like in the late 1860s but are of themselves beautiful works of art.

Did You Know?

General Custer Receiving the Flag of Truce

General George Armstrong Custer, of Little Bighorn fame, received the flag of truce at Appomattox Court House that brought about a cessation of hostilities leading to the surrender meeting between Lee and Grant. The Original Truce Flag is exhibited at Appomattox Court House National Historical Park.