• Cannon and Cornfield at Dawn

    Antietam

    National Battlefield Maryland

2nd Delaware Volunteer Infantry Monument

Dedicated: May 10, 1964

Location: On the north side of Bloody Lane

Map Number: 58

•Go to .pdf version of the Monument Map

•Adopt-a-Monument

 
2nd Delaware Infantry Monument

2nd Delaware Infantry Monument

NPS Image

Monument Text:
DELAWARE
2nd DELAWARE VOLUNTEERS
CAPT. DAVID L. STRICKER
3rd BRIGADE, 1st DIVISION, II CORPS

This regiment of Richardson's reserve brigade crossed Antietam Creek. Advanced with division and came under heavy artillery fire while holding position immediately beyond crest of the ridge. It moved to right and helped repulse counterattack in gap between French and Richardson's divisions. In final assault on Bloody Lane, the regiment crossed here and took possession of Piper Farm buildings until ordered to retire.
LOSSES
OFFICERS MEN
Killed 12
Wounded 2
Missing 2
Total 58

ERECTED BY
DELAWARE CIVIL WAR CENTENNIAL COMMISSION
May 10, 1964

Did You Know?

The Maryland State Monument at Antietam

The Maryland State Monument is the only monument at Antietam dedicated to both sides. Marylanders fought for both the Union and the Confederacy. 20,000 people attended the dedication on May 30, 1900. President William McKinley, a veteran of the Battle of Antietam, was the keynote speaker