Founders Day Activities at Andersonville National Historic Site
Contact: Stephanie Steinhorst, 229 924-0343, x. 203
It's time to wish the National Park Service a "Happy 96th Birthday!"
Don't worry about bringing a card or a cake; rather come celebrate Founder's Day at Andersonville National Historic Site. On August 25, 1916, President Woodrow Wilson signed the Organic Act that created the National Park Service. The purpose of the Service, as identified in the Act is "... to conserve the scenery and the natural and historic objects and wild life therein and to provide for the enjoyment of the same in such manner and by such means as will leave them unimpaired for the enjoyment of future generations." Today, the National Park Service is comprised of 397 units that share the task of protecting the nation's natural and cultural legacies. Superintendent Brad Bennett invites all generations to come and spend time at Andersonville enjoying both the natural beauty and historical importance of the site right in your own backyard.
Each child that visits the National Prisoner of War Museum will receive a special goodie bag filled with park-themed items, and will have the opportunity to earn their Junior Ranger badge, Jr. Civil War historian patch and Civil War trading cards. The Eastern National bookstore will also have a sale on park-related items.
Andersonville National Historic Site is located 10 miles south of Oglethorpe, GA and 10 miles northeast of Americus, GA on Georgia Highway 49. The national park features the National Prisoner of War Museum, Andersonville National Cemetery and the site of the historic Civil War prison, Camp Sumter. Andersonville National Historic Site is the only national park within the National Park System to serve as a memorial to all American prisoners of war. Park grounds are open from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. with the museum opening at 9:00 a.m. Admission is free.
For more information on the park, call 229 924-0343, visit on the web at www.nps.gov/ande/, or find us on Facebook at facebook.com/AndersonvilleNPS
Did You Know?
A smallpox hospital was built two miles south of the Andersonville prison to isolate infected prisoners. In operation only four months, 50% of the prisoners admitted there died of the disease. The 64 graves of the smallpox hospital were moved to Andersonville National Cemetery in 1867.