The cemetery site serving Camp Sumter was established as Andersonville National Cemetery on July 26, 1865. By 1868, the burial grounds interred the remains of more than 13,800 Union soldiers whose bodies had been retrieved after their deaths in hospitals, battles, or prison camps throughout the region. Andersonville National Cemetery has been used continuously since its founding and currently averages nearly 200 burials a year. One of only two active National Cemeteries administered by the National Park Service, the Andersonville National Cemetery is proud to continue to serve those who served our country.
Below are monthly summaries of recent interments in the Andersonville National Cemetery:
Did You Know?
Most visitors exploring Andersonville National Cemetery are unaware that the New York monument has an image sculpted on the reverse side of the memorial. The image on the reverse depicts two Andersonville prisoners. One is seen as dejected while the other appears hopeful. An angel approaches the prisoners carrying an olive branch, the symbol of peace, which was used to represent the reconciliation between the North and the South. More...